Bradley BIM has more than 15 McGraw-Hill SmartMarket Reports (2007-2015) available for download; including ‘Green BIM‘.
The majority of these surveys demonstrate how BIM processes contribute as a core integration tool for sustainable design processes.
BIM authoring software packages; like (Revit, AECOsim, ArchiCAD, Vectorworks) create the BIM facility file. Third-party Add-On software applications provide niche design & analysis functionality –that is not typically included in the out-of-the box BIM software.
So…how is this helpful?
The cost to design, build and maintain large, complex facilities is significant. Constructing a building; while its being designed, has been crucial to reducing these costs. Integrating BIM processes is reducing the construction time, product waste and labor costs.
Architects, engineers, contractors and facility owners are adding design + engineering functionality to their BIM authoring software –via BIM Add-On applications. These apps provide BIM software with the ability to simulate the seasonal energy consumption of a facility over the building’s lifecycle.
BIM Add-On software components connect to the designers’ whole building facility model.. Thereby, helping them to evaluate, analyze, design and simulate specific facility performance factors –prior to construction and occupancy.
Example of BIM \ BIM Add-On Apps Assisting w/Sustainable Design Process
- Building Certification: BIM auto-collects & reports sustainable documentation
- Green Product Selection: BIM Automated Specification Writing Systems
- BIM MEP: Building Energy Performance Modeling Simulations
- Visualization: Interior Daylighting and Shadow Studies
- Green Material Volume Take-Off: New Construction, Demolition Construction Waste
- BIM MEP: Water \ Waste Systems Consumption, Calculations & Flow Analysis
- HVAC Load Analysis: Optimizing Heating and Cooling Loads & Zones
- Lighting | Evaluate Electrical Consumption & Light Coverage Verification
- Analyze & Simulate the Solar (Heat) Gain from a Building’s Site Orientation
- BIM for Prefabrication: Utilizes Lean & Green Construction (Manufacturing) Processes
- Green BIM Site Design Studies calculate green space & drainage areas, parking lot design and inventory plantings for landscape maintenance.
Sustainable design is a collaborative effort. The BIM process is positioned perfectly to provide real-time sustainable data feedback for design options under consideration.
BIM has accelerated the use of Integrated Project Delivery (IPD), modular prefabrication and design-build processes for green and lean design + construction processes.
The As-Built BIM construction model provides the facility owner with a visual database of their building’s space, materials and product content. BIM-linked FM and CAFM systems integrate with the as-built model to manage facility assets, define staff locations, maintain building environmental systems and plan operations maintenance schedules.
BIM-Revit processes and models are systematically influencing the growth of sustainable design; for every aspect of the facility’s lifecycle. Whole Building Modeling provides the optimum environment to analyze the whole building sustainable performance.
Visit Bradley at Greenbuild 2015
Consider viewing these Autodesk University computational BIM Revit Videos to see how multiple design options for proposed facilities are explored and validated in less time.
- Introduction 02:54
- Understanding computational BIM10:43
- Why computational BIM is important 11:59
- What Autodesk is doing about computational BIM10:26